Saturday, December 10, 2011

Of Autos and Autowallas.

Especially, if you are in India (as a Foreigner) then you must have traveled many times in it. You would have also thanked their owners for their services and would have also fallen into argument often (over the exorbitant fare they must have charged from you).  I am Talking about "Autos". India is a land of Autos and welcome to the land of Autos and Autowallas. 

As a Bhutanese, Who grew up side by side with the Indian culture and costumes, nothing about India is new for me. I, in fact know that India is a diversity hub in any respect. A thing of Autos and autowalls is one such thing that I  am now getting more acquainted with.

It was 7th December 2011 in Ahmedabad. It was exam time. I had International Economics paper in the afternoon (at 2:30 pm) and as usual I have told my favorite Autowala to come and pick me up at 1:30pm. He is a very senior citizen by age, (probably in his late 60s) It was like an agreement drawn between two of us. But annoyingly and frustratingly, he didn't turn up that day. In my madness, I blamed him, I yelled at him (internally). I regretted treating him everyday with Lassi and ice cream in amol Shop.

So I had to take another auto that day. As I came out from my exam hall at 5:30 pm, the first thing on my mind was to find another Autowalla, with whom I might have to bargain for the fare. Autowalls here have an immutable tendency of charging more fares from foreigners. So fixing the fare in advance is what I always do. As I walked  out from the gate, I was surprised to see him (my favorite Autowalla, that senior citizen)

I immediately started scolding him in Hindhi. I told him " abb Booth Kharab Admai hai" . with that I got into Auto and he started driving without even replying a word. On my way I asked him why he didn't turn up. But he had his own reason. He told me that he had a problem with his Auto. But seeing his brand new auto, it did little to convince me. So I yelled at him and said " abb Juuth Math Bolo". That day I told him to drive me straight to my room and not to amol Shop. At my gate, I took out Rs 50 and paid the fare and told him that I do not require his services anymore.

But My favorite autowalla looked in my face with his hands holding to his ears. He said " I am sorry Beta". It touched my heart immediately, Seeing a very senior man begging forgiveness and sorry from me was something inexpressive. And moreover, with his toothless mouth, he reminded me of my dad. But I did not show my intensity of feeling to him.

As I walked to my room, He called me and asked me about my next exam. He told me that he will not make the same mistake again. After a while I responded to him. I told him, If he does then, I will not talk to him forever (even though I have only 2 years to stay here)

1 comment:

  1. Definatly the autowallas can charge from 20 bucks to making it 120/-...its one of the student from gujarat too..u bet i have the experience too.. Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete

I write on these topics

105th National Day (2) 2012 (2) 2013 (1) 2014 (1) Academic (5) ACC (1) Accident (3) ADB (1) Ahmedabad Experience (15) Alto (1) Animal Well-being (2) Animals (4) Anonymous (1) Archery (1) Architecture (3) Argentina (1) Arrogant (1) Art (5) Asset (1) audicity of opinion (1) Australia (1) Autowalla (2) awards (1) baby sitting (1) BAFRA (1) Ban (1) Bangkok (1) Bank of Bhutan (2) Belief (1) Bhutan (73) Bhutan Airlines (2) Bhutanomics (1) Birthday (8) Birthday Wishes for my King (4) Birthday. (1) BJP (1) Blessed rainy day (1) Blog (2) Blog Award (1) Blog Award. Bhutan (1) Bloggers (4) Bolg Award (1) Bonzai (1) Book (11) Boudha temple (1) Brazil 2014 (1) Buddhism (19) Buffalo (1) Bushra Shanan (1) Car (2) Change (1) Changkor (1) Chetan Bhagat (1) Chief Election Commissioner of Bhutan (1) Child development (1) China (6) Choku (2) CITES (2) Civil Servants (2) cold (2) College (1) Comment (1) common sense (1) Community (1) Conservation (1) Constitution of the Kingdom of Bhutan (2) contemplation (1) Cordycepts (2) corporal Punishment (1) Court case (8) cricket (1) Cricket World cup (1) crime (3) Culture (14) culture properties. (3) Customs (11) Dasho Kunzang Wangdi (1) Dasho Shingkhar Lam (1) Dawa Gyeltshen (1) DCT (2) DDC (1) Dechen Wangmo (1) Democracy (4) Department of Revenue and Customs (6) Depression (1) Development (2) Dictator (1) Diplomatic Relationship (1) Disaster (1) Diwali (4) DNT (1) Doctors (1) dog (1) Doomsday 2012 (1) DPT (3) Dr. Karma Phuntsho (1) Dr. Richard Teo (1) DRC (3) Dream (2) Drugs (1) Dungsey Rimpoche (1) Dylan Thomas (1) Dzongkha Song (5) Earth hour (1) East (1) Ecology (1) Economics (14) Economist (1) Economy (2) Education (10) Election (10) Election 2013 (5) Election Commission of Bhutan (1) Election2013 (1) End of the world (1) Enforcement (3) Eric Weiner (1) Essay Games and Sports (1) Exams (9) Eyelid Twitching (1) Eyes (1) Facebook (4) Family (6) Farewell (1) FIFA (1) Fire disaster (2) Flowers (5) Flu (1) Folk tale (1) Food (2) Football (3) Foreign Policy (1) Fourth King (4) Freedom (3) Freedom at midnight (1) friend (1) Friendship (2) Fun (1) fundamental right (1) Games (2) Gandinagar (1) Gangnam Style (1) Germany (1) global warming (1) GNH (7) Golf Course in Shingkhar (4) Government (7) Great Britain (1) Guest Post (2) Guest Post. Extra Marital Affairs. (1) Gujarat (33) Gujarat University (9) Guns in Bhutan (1) Guru Rimpoche (1) H. L. V. Derozio's (1) H.H Dalai Lama (1) Hamas (1) Happiness (13) Happy new year (5) High land (1) His Majesty (5) History (4) Hobby (1) Hollywood (1) Home (6) Humbleness (1) humility (1) Humming bird (1) humor (2) I am Malala (1) I too had a love story (1) Iceland (1) Icon Shoe (1) IELTS (1) India (33) Indo-Bhutan Friendship (1) Infatuation (1) Information (1) Inspiration (2) International Happiness day (1) International Health Regulation (1) International Poetry day (1) International water day (1) International Women's day (1) interview (2) Israel (1) Jangsa Animal Saving Trust (2) Japan (5) Jaswant Singh (1) JDWNR Hospital (8) Jigme Y. Thinley (1) job (1) John Keats (1) jokes (2) Joseon Dynasty (1) Justice (1) Kankaria lake (1) Katmandu (2) Kings of Bhutan (2) Kongfu Panda (2) Kuensel (3) Lal Darwaza (1) laughter (2) Law (5) Lemjakha (2) lessons (1) Letter (1) letter to MP (2) Letter. (1) Life (4) Local Healers (3) Lomba (1) Longchen Rabjam (9) Losar (2) love (6) Lunar Eclipse (2) Lyonpo Ugyen Tshering (1) Mail (1) Malaysia (5) Married to Bhutan (1) Mathematics (1) Media (1) merry X-mas. (2) MH370 (1) middle class people (1) middle class people. My life (1) Ministry of Finance. Paro Airport (1) Minzuk Lhamo (2) Misfortune (2) MoE (1) MoF (1) Moldova (1) Money Plant (1) Monk hood (1) Monks (1) morales (2) Mother's Day (2) Movie (5) MPs (1) Music (3) my ATM card. (1) my blog (2) My Boss (4) my camera (1) my country (1) My daughters (14) My family (7) My father (9) My Friend (2) My job (5) My King (2) My King and Queen (4) My Life (77) My mother (4) My passport (1) My Phone (1) My Promises (1) My sister (3) My Son (1) my sun glass (1) My Teachers (2) My Wife (4) Narendra Modi (4) NASA (1) National anthem (1) National Assembly (1) National Council (1) National Day (1) Nelson mandela (1) Nepal (4) New Delhi (1) Nissam Ezekil (1) Nomads (1) Norbu the Cat (1) Opposition (1) Our Queen (1) Pakistan (1) Palace (1) Palestine (1) Parliament (2) Paro (4) Paro Airport (7) Passu (2) Pay Revision (4) PDP (2) Pedestrian day (1) People (3) Photography (34) Phuentsholing (2) Poetry (12) Police (2) Politics (11) Pollution (1) Prado (1) Prediction (1) Primary round (1) Prime Minister of Bhutan (6) Prime Minister of India (1) Private Sector (1) Prostitution (1) psychology (2) Punakha (2) Punishment (1) Qatar (1) Queen of Bhutan (1) Quota (1) RAA (1) Rabindranath Tagore (1) Rabney (2) Rajnikant (1) Random Thoughts (32) RCSC (2) reflection (1) Refugee Problem (1) Religion (4) Republic day of India (1) Research (2) Result (5) Retention wall (1) RILO AP (2) Road (1) Road Development (1) Road safety (1) Robert Frost (1) ROCB (1) Royal Wedding (4) RRCO. Paro (2) Rule of Law (1) Rumors (1) Rupee Crunch (2) samrtphones (1) scholarships (3) School (1) Security (2) Seminar (4) Seoul (3) shapes (2) Sherubtse (3) Shingkhar (34) Shopping (1) Sikkim (1) SIM card (1) Singapore (1) Smile (1) Snowfall (1) social forestry day (1) Social Media (3) social problems (1) South Korea (8) Spain (1) Sperm Donation (1) Stipend (1) story (2) Study (2) Suhas Gopinath (1) Superstition (1) Switzerland (1) Talent (2) Tashi Group of Companies (1) Teachers (6) Teachers's Day (2) Team work (1) Tenancy Act (1) Thai Customs (3) Thailand (3) Thank you (2) Thank you note (1) The Nederlands (1) Thimphu (2) Thuksey Rimpoche (1) Tibet (3) tobacco (1) Tobacco Control Act (3) TOEFL (1) Trade (2) Traditions (4) Training (12) Travel (16) Tsechu (1) Tulip (1) Ugyen Pandy (2) Uniform (1) Ura (2) USA (1) vacation (1) Walk (1) Wangdi Dzong (2) WCO (4) Wedding (1) WHO (1) wild life (1) wildlife (3) William Wordsworth (1) Wisdom (2) Women (2) Woochu (1) World CUP (2) Writer (1) Writing (1) Yak (11) Yeshhey (1) Youths (4) Zhabdrung (1) Zoo (1)

Followers