Friday, February 11, 2011

Reflection of my days in Kanglung: Part two

During my Graduation day in 2005
If my first year  was a year of freedom misunderstood period, then my second year was surely a transition period for me. Transition period because I finally got introduced to a thing called "computer". Transition period because I started learning about what romance in Kanglung actually meant. Transition period because I realized that I had a mounting expectations form my parents and other well wishers.

Talking about my introduction to the computer and IT world there, I would say that computer thing came as a complete  revelation for me.  It was then I regretted a lot for not caring to learn what this computer was all about. I believe we had computers in our High school. (Drukgyel High School In Paro) But I never cared since it was not included in our syllabus.

There were only 6 computers in the library with an Internet facilities then. As a fresher and and a first yearer (one year ago) I remember those days when I rushed and ran to book one. I even remember sacrificing my breakfast at times to get one computer booked so as to write a short mail to my friends in India. Even though the Internet was dead slow, I remember being patient like a spider. Due to unestablished  Internet connection, the net work in the library often remained offline. But that didn't deter me from visiting the library.  I would visit library for many reasons and visiting for sake of using computer used to be my priority.  Even though the computer to me was confined only to Microsoft office and Internet, every single minute I spent with it brought me immense joy and satisfaction. It was fun and enthralling. It kept me engrossed and I often missed my other classes on this account.

Once we were in the library, our librarian meant only two thing, -silence and discipline. Those two things were often over looked and neglected by me and  most of my friends alike, because the excitement and amusement in using  the computers were too much. Some of my friends would even bounce like a pop corn only to be brought down my Mr. Nakchung's  (the librarian), "come down" that would reverberate the room.

As a matter of coincidence, I also met a junior man who had his own laptop and  digital camera. I don't exactly remember how I got introduced to him but we knew each other quit well and got along well too. He would often take my picture in his camera and show me in his laptop, but he would never let me put my fingers on his keyboard. I would stay late in his room listening to his digital stories and return to my room  late with a feeling of enviousness and remorse. I later came to know  that he is Digital Dorji and so was he. I saw him being called with that name all through his college days.

Talking about romance in Kanglung, (form my perspective) It was all about boys and girls, madly in pursuit of each other. It was about proposing to each other with no middleman. In most cases in a drunken state. when the pair finally consents to each other, it was all about moving out for countless evening walks and countless dinners in the corners of Hotel Palas. For a boy, it was also about inviting his girl to the room for a cup of tea/coffee/water and going back to her room for lunch/dinner. There were also rumors that romance was never complete without lovemaking in bush, in small TV rooms or in the toilets.

As for me, romance was all about liking my good friend -head over heels. I liked her. The obvious reason could be that simple thing called love. May be I fell in love with her. You see, how tender and easy it is for us to fall in love!  We initially met each other in the study room. -Totally stranger to each other. Although it was not in my habit to use study hall for studying purposes, I started visiting it often.

It was there, we discussed things other than the contents of our text books. We talked about our family and past school life. It took us us all through the night. When we got late, I would boldly reach her to her room and return alone frightened, scared and lonely.

I didn't like movies, but with her, I found it was OK to refresh myself occasionally. It was even OK, if i didn't understand anything at all. In our lighter moments, we would sit together and play chess. I still remember how enraged she became when she could not win the game.

I remember inviting her to my room. Probably many time but for coffee and tea. But she never accepted. Not even once. On the other side, I frequently visited her room either for a cup of tea or for a lunch. Her potato curry with cheddar tasted yummy. It still makes my mouth water. It really do.

One thing we never shared to each other was our feeling of intimacy. A feeling which is way deeper and profound.  We were good friends (or did I think we were more than that) but there were things which sadly remained within ourselves (or my own self). Even in my  most drunken state, I fell short of guts to "propose her". Perhaps it was infatuation at its best. My Kanglung romance was anything but a dream I continued dreaming, I call it a beautiful dream.

With this, I was finally half way through with my second year; -the climax. The Business Mathematics, Cost Accounting, Cost Control Analysis, Taxation policy, Company Law, Micro Economics Theory II and Business Data Processing were my main academic subjects that year. The primary subject; -the academic part, which otherwise required primary concern, became a matter of last minute fancy and sadly because of this, not everyone in my class made  to second year.

Talking about the expectations and anticipations of my family, It was simple and plain. They were of the opinion that job for me was thing of 'guarantee'. Mid way through my second year, I even had a call from my father in which he asked whether, I could become Teacher the next year after. For him it was like, I am  completing class 14. I was also told that my toddling nephew wanted to take credit ride on bus, because he thought that the payment could be made later when his uncle gets tolop; 

Apart from these events, life in Kanglung was normal, men played football all week long in the ground which apparently looked like murky paddy field. Occasionally few ladies came to witness either the game or a fight resulting form the game.   We were served  bread  and butter/jam on every Wednesdays and Fridays and zaw and suja every evening. Very often the college baker and mess In-charge (Lop drimpon) would go home enraged by the voraciousness of our friends.

That year, our group broke apart in terms of the hostels we stayed. Few continued to live in DH 4, while me and two others decided to shift to newly created DH5. We lived more independent lives. This at times worried me. Sometimes I would remain  alone in the room listening to 'kabi khushi kabi gham' song all through the night played on my friends panasonic radio. It was solitude, but no bliss. It was during that time, I started living like a nomad; -away from my group, only to be joined by another two nomad-like man. They were a year junior to me and I was like  'big brother' for 2 of them. I called them my  little brothers.

I also met many people with whom I started building strong emotional attachment. One person I still remember is a professor of zoology and botany. He was more of a friend to me than a college professor. (I would love to share this in my next segment)

Finally the exams were over and friends have all left the place. Buzzing and busy college merely looked like an abandoned place with haunted and inhabited houses everywhere. I thought I would be the last person to leave the campus but luckily, there was one person who fell behind like me. ( Dawa Tshering, blogger who currently blogs on www.cholachorus.com). We stayed a night together in Kanglung and Trashigang before I finally reached Shingkhar.  I remember enjoying the the best eggplant curry  and basmati rice being cooked by  Dawa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I write on these topics

105th National Day (2) 2012 (2) 2013 (1) 2014 (1) Academic (5) ACC (1) Accident (3) ADB (1) Ahmedabad Experience (15) Alto (1) American President (1) Animal Well-being (2) Animals (4) Anonymous (1) Archery (1) Architecture (2) Arrogant (1) Art (5) Asset (1) audicity of opinion (1) Autowalla (2) awards (1) baby sitting (1) BAFRA (1) Ban (1) Bank of Bhutan (2) Belief (1) Bhutan (61) Bhutan Airlines (2) Bhutanomics (1) Biggest Democracy (1) Birthday (7) Birthday Wishes for my King (4) Birthday. (1) Blessed rainy day (1) Blog (2) Blog Award (1) Blog Award. Bhutan (1) Bloggers (3) Bolg Award (1) Bonzai (1) Book (11) Boudha temple (1) Buddhism (19) Buffalo (1) Car (2) Changkor (1) Chetan Bhagat (1) Chief Election Commissioner of Bhutan (1) Child development (1) China (6) Choku (2) Chukha-Damche Bypass (1) CITES (2) Civil Servants (2) CNN (1) cold (2) College (1) Comment (1) common sense (1) Community (1) Conservation (1) Constitution of the Kingdom of Bhutan (2) contemplation (1) Cordycepts (2) corporal Punishment (1) Court case (8) cricket (1) Cricket World cup (1) crime (3) Culture (14) culture properties. (3) Customs (10) DANTAK (1) Dasho Kunzang Wangdi (1) Dasho Shingkhar Lam (1) Dawa Gyeltshen (1) DCT (1) DDC (1) Dechen Wangmo (1) Democracy (4) Department of Revenue and Customs (6) Depression (1) Development (2) Dictator (1) Diplomatic Relationship (1) Disaster (1) Diwali (4) DNT (1) Doctors (1) dog (1) Doomsday 2012 (1) DPT (1) Dr. Karma Phuntsho (1) Dr. Richard Teo (1) DRC (4) Dream (2) Drugs (1) Dungsey Rimpoche (1) Dylan Thomas (1) Dzongkha Song (5) Earth hour (1) East (1) Ecology (1) Economics (14) Economist (1) Economy (1) Education (10) Election (5) Election 2013 (3) Election Commission of Bhutan (1) End of the world (1) Enforcement (3) Eric Weiner (1) Essay Games and Sports (1) Exams (9) Eyelid Twitching (1) Eyes (1) Facebook (3) Family (6) Farewell (1) FIFA (1) Fire disaster (2) Flowers (5) Flu (1) Folk tale (1) Food (2) Football (3) Foreign Policy (1) Fourth King (4) Freedom (3) Freedom at midnight (1) friend (1) Friendship (2) Fun (1) fundamental right (1) Games (2) Gandinagar (1) Gangnam Style (1) global warming (1) GNH (6) Golf Course in Shingkhar (4) Government (2) Great Britain (1) Guest Post (1) Guest Post. Extra Marital Affairs. (1) Gujarat (32) Gujarat University (9) Guns in Bhutan (1) Guru Rimpoche (1) H. L. V. Derozio's (1) H.H Dalai Lama (1) Happiness (13) Happy new year (5) High land (1) His Majesty (4) History (4) Hobby (1) Hollywood (1) Home (6) Humbleness (1) humility (1) Humming bird (1) humor (2) I am Malala (1) I too had a love story (1) Iceland (1) Icon Shoe (1) IELTS (1) India (29) Indian Politics (1) Indo-Bhutan Friendship (1) Infatuation (1) Information (1) Inspiration (2) International Happiness day (1) International Health Regulation (1) International Poetry day (1) International water day (1) International Women's day (1) interview (2) Jangsa Animal Saving Trust (2) Japan (5) Jaswant Singh (1) JDWNR Hospital (8) job (1) John Keats (1) jokes (2) Joseon Dynasty (1) Justice (1) Kankaria lake (1) Katmandu (2) Kings of Bhutan (2) Kongfu Panda (2) Kuensel (3) Lal Darwaza (1) laughter (2) Law (4) Lemjakha (2) lessons (1) letter to MP (2) Letter. (1) Life (4) Loan (1) Local Healers (3) Lomba (1) Longchen Rabjam (9) Losar (2) love (6) Lunar Eclipse (2) Lyonpo Ugyen Tshering (1) Malaysia (5) Married to Bhutan (1) Mathematics (1) merry X-mas. (2) MH370 (1) middle class people (1) middle class people. My life (1) Ministry of Finance. Paro Airport (1) Minzuk Lhamo (2) Misfortune (2) MoE (1) MoF (1) Moldova (1) Money Plant (1) Monk hood (1) Monks (1) morales (2) Mother's Day (2) Movie (5) MPs (1) Music (3) my ATM card. (1) my blog (2) My Boss (4) my camera (1) my country (1) My daughters (14) My family (7) My father (9) My Friend (2) My job (5) My King (2) My King and Queen (4) My Life (76) My mother (4) My passport (1) My Phone (1) My Promises (1) My sister (3) My Son (1) my sun glass (1) My Teachers (2) My Wife (4) Narendra Modi (2) NASA (1) National anthem (1) National Assembly (1) National Day (1) NDTV (1) Nelson mandela (1) Nepal (4) Nissam Ezekil (1) Nomads (1) Norbu the Cat (1) Oldest Democracy (1) Our Queen (1) Palace (1) Parliament (1) Paro (3) Paro Airport (7) Passu (2) Pay Revision (4) PDP (1) Pedestrian day (1) People (3) Photography (34) Poetry (12) Police (2) Politics (6) Pollution (1) Prado (1) Prediction (1) Primary round (1) Prime Minister of Bhutan (2) Prime Minister of India (1) Private Sector (1) Prostitution (1) psychology (2) Punakha (2) Punishment (1) Qatar (1) Queen of Bhutan (1) Quota (1) RAA (1) Rabindranath Tagore (1) Rabney (2) Rajnikant (1) Random Thoughts (30) RCSC (2) reflection (1) Refugee Problem (1) Religion (4) Republic day of India (1) Research (2) Result (5) Retention wall (1) RILO AP (2) Road (1) Road Development (1) Road safety (1) Robert Frost (1) ROCB (1) Royal Wedding (4) RRCO. Paro (2) Rule of Law (1) Rumors (1) Rupee Crunch (2) scholarships (3) School (1) Security (2) Seminar (3) Seoul (3) shapes (2) Sherubtse (3) Shingkhar (34) Sikkim (1) SIM card (1) Singapore (1) Smile (1) Snowfall (1) social forestry day (1) Social Media (3) social problems (1) South Korea (8) Sperm Donation (1) Stipend (1) story (2) Study (2) Suhas Gopinath (1) Superstition (1) Switzerland (1) Talent (2) Tashi Group of Companies (1) Teachers (5) Teachers's Day (1) Team work (1) Thai Customs (3) Thailand (2) Thank you (2) Thank you note (1) The Nederlands (1) Thimphu (2) Thuksey Rimpoche (1) Tibet (3) tobacco (1) Tobacco Control Act (3) TOEFL (1) Trade (1) Traditions (4) Training (11) Travel (15) Tsechu (1) Tulip (1) Ugyen Pandy (2) Uniform (1) Ura (2) USA (1) vacation (1) Walk (1) Wangdi Dzong (2) WCO (4) Wedding (1) Welfare Contribution (1) WHO (1) wild life (1) wildlife (3) William Wordsworth (1) Wisdom (2) Women (2) Woochu (1) World CUP (1) Writer (1) Writing (1) Yak (11) Yeshhey (1) Youths (3) Zhabdrung (1) Zoo (1)